The spectrum of colors that has appeared on the Porsche 911 over the years is vast, to say the least. Here we have an oddball color, Rubystone Red, on a rather butch looking 964 Turbo. While not completely original, the upgrades have been tasteful, as the description illustrates.
The seller states:
You are viewing an extremely rare Porsche 911 turbo. This 965 is finished in Rubystone Red (looks purple in most light or even magenta) and is one of as few as perhaps 2 made in this color of the 674 brought to the usa for 1991! This car has been owned by the same person for 12+ years. It had just 19,497 miles when the previous owner bought it in March of 1998. The Rubystone Red paint appears to be original and all of the panels are original to the car and still have their VIN# stickers, etc. in their proper locations. The previous owner had a 1994 turbo 3.6 s engine installed in the car several years ago and then had the local independent Porsche specialst shop go through the motor and make some modifications. If you are still reading this then you probably know how rare the 3.6 Turbo S cars are and what an impressive engine this is! Porsche built just 155 option code x88 turbo 3.6 s engines! It was conservatively rated at 385 hp according to flachbau.com. Most of these engines were installed in the flat nose cars, but a customer could special order one for installation in a regular ’94 turbo as well. Here are some other details about this rare Porsche:
• M64/50 S TURBO 3.6 S ENGINE OPTION CODE X88
• REBUILT FOR $21K 12K MILES AGO BY AN EXPERT PORSCHE SHOP
• TWIN PLUG CYLINDER HEADS
• PORTED CYLINDER HEADS TO 38mm (PLENUM MATCHED AT 38mm)
• GT2 EVO CAMS
• ALIGN BORED CASES
• MICRO POLISHED CRANK
• ALL NEW BEARINGS, ROD BOLTS, HEAD STUDS, ETC.
• B&B STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST
• REBUILT 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION
• UP-DATED CLUTCH RELEASE ARM
• FUEL ENRICHMENT SYSTEM
• NEW COMPLETE 3.6 TURBO FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM ($3K!)
• REAL 18 INCH SPEEDLINE TURBO 3.6 3 PIECE WHEELS! (WORTH A SMALL FORTUNE BY THEMSELVES!)
• SUPPLE LEATHER INTERIOR WITH PURPLE PIPING
• FACTORY AC
• FACTORY SUNROOF
• AM-FM CD (NICE AFTERMARKET UNIT)
• COIL OVER ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION
• LOWERED TO EUROPEAN RIDE HEIGHT
The 964 is only beginning to appreciate in value, as it has always been kind of the stepchild between the 3.2 models and the last air cooled 993 versions. For a car with tasteful modifications that has been preserved well with tasteful modifications, the asking price seems almost a bargain.